Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Happy Birthday World Wide Web!

Monday, November 13th marked the 16th birthday of the World Wide Web. Sweet 16....I wonder if she is driving yet? ; ) Anyways, it got me to thinking about the internet, and how it already seems like it has always been.

For me, I didn't even start using it until the end of grad school (mid 90's). And even then it was just Usenet groups, not real web pages. Then it just happened.....I was using the web. I honestly can't remember when I STARTED, I just remember using it. Very odd not recollecting when it began. But now it is a part of my life, as much as my right hand is to my body.

=> SIDETRACK<= If I could, I would wire a computer into my head so I could read emails, surf the web, and keep my calendar. I am sure I'd do more, but you get the idea. The idea of having a screen readout in my vision or 'mind's eye' Über cool (Nice use of Über, huh? I even got the umlaut in there. Yes, that is what it is called, I even checked with our World Language department, so there!) And to even FURTHER sidetrack this blog, go read the novel FEED by M.T. Anderson. It is about what happens to teens when they DO have a computer in their head. You think they get distracted now? Check out this book. I loved it. The Audiobook is even better, so go out and get it!

=> OK Back to the Bog <=

OK, so the WWW is 16.

I made a comment to the staff yesterday that she is only 16, I wonder what she will grow up to be when she is 30. The web is such a remarkable, beautiful, and still evolving beast. I don' think we can even imagine what it will be like in 15 years, let alone two!

So let's give three cheers to the World Wide Web and wish her a happy birthday!